Saturday, June 22, 2019

Leaving Provence (6/7)


We’re leaving Provence today with heavy hearts but with very fond and vivid memories. Yesterday was no exception. Before we checked into our Airbnb, we explored the inner city of Avignon - its narrow and intricate streets, quaint squares, and ancient buildings that surround the Papal Palace. Yes, the pope has a palace in Avignon.

Avignon inner city, France.

The Papal Palace, Avignon, France.
We all know that the papacy has a long and colorful history but one thing Tess and I didn’t know is that the Papal Enclave - essentially the Vatican itself - moved to Avignon in the 13th century for 67 years! It all started when a French bishop, Clement, was voted pope. Part of a political maneuver, he decided to run the Catholic Church in France, from Avignon, built and designed the palace to replicate the functions of the Vatican including the Sistine Chapel where the enclave met and voted succeeding popes for 67 years before it was moved back to Rome. Fascinating to say the least!

Some of the popes buried at the Papal Palace crypt, Avignon, France.
When I returned our car rental this morning (a mid-size SUV), I felt so lucky that I did not cause a single dent or scratch considering I drove it on tight, rugged, and winding roads with maniacal drivers on them.  Not to mention the unsafe parking spots that were frequented by petty thieves. I now understand why the rental company was very anal in cataloging the original condition of the car and insisting I take their insurance (which I respectfully declined). Next time, I will rent a smaller and lower-profile vehicle. Another luck: my rental was a hybrid, saving me a lot of money in gas which is very expensive in Europe.

Although the train ride from Avignon started somber, we were soon excited about the final leg of our European vacation - Germany and its surrounding countries Luxembourg, Netherlands, and Belgium.

Back: Provence in Early Summer 2019                                                   Next: Deutchland